Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Back Blogging: A Christmas Gift

My Grandmother is in her 90's. She has had hip surgery and a stroke. She lives in an assisted living community near my parents. She is amazing.



Every year at her birthday, Christmas, Mother's Day, etc, we have many discussion regarding what to get her. She's not the easiest to buy for...and she's in her 90's living in an assisted living community. a small studio apartment and wears the same clothes she's had for years. What to buy her? A new cd? (She has trouble remembering how the CD player works.) A new DVD? (She can't remember how to switch from TV to DVD.) New bath towels and sheets? (She thinks that's just silly.) A new picture? (Only if it's family members!)

For Christmas each year all she asks for is a calendar. My sisters and I make a family calendar each year with pictures of the grandkids and other such pictures. It's her favorite gift. So...what to get her?

This year I decided early on what I was going to do. When we were kids Grandmother sewed. Alot. When shorts were first allowed in school and they had to be super long and you couldn't find them in the store, Grandmother made them. Our Christmas dresses? She made them. My first formal for Brazos Belles in Waco? She made it. But what I think I remember most is that she made us satin pillowcases. Friends, we had THE BEST pillowcases around. Our friends were envious because they were that awesome. (I may or may not be playing this up a tad.)

So, over the summer I learned to sew. It all started with dog harnesses and quickly became a skirt and a dress. Grandmother was so impressed and excited that I was learning that I KNEW for Christmas this year -- yep, Satin Pillowcases.

Can I tell you how nervous I was?! I'd only sewn cotton. And they had to be just right. Alan and I LITERALLY felt EVERY. SINGLE. BOLT. of satin/sateen fabric in Sherman. ALL of Joann's and ALL of Hobby Lobby before I made my pic. Then I decided it needed a bit of embellishment so I added lace.

Then I panicked! I took all my bits to church and a friend at church showed me how to cut them and then talked me through the sewing. Then I went home and was on my own! MY machine. I honestly almost gave up before I started...but perservered and tada -- pillowcases!



Truly a labor of love.

And oh so worth it. When she opened the box with the pillowcases she was speechless. She was so excited to find out I had made them myself. The next day she came over for dinner and told me she'd put them on the bed as decorations -- for anyone to see. It's safe to say she loved them. And I loved making her something she could and would use and enjoy. The joy of it all...

1 comment:

  1. I have loved this gift right from when you told me you were doing this, you are so thoughtful and kind!

    ReplyDelete