Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pray, Support, Go

It's no great shock to you to hear me talk about that things we can do in the world of adoption, both here and abroad. I've said it before and I'm sure I will again...and again...and again: We can all do something!

Some of us can simply committ to pray. Pray for the staff, the children, the foster families, the families that will someday adopt, and/or the families that already have adopted and are now learning about their child and their child is learning a new culture. Pray for the agencies that connect children and families...pray that their motives are pure and they are truly making decisions based on the child's needs. Pray for the child's birthparents...the decision to let go of your child is a big one! Just pray!

Some of us can support. There are foster homes to support by sending monthly support. Some of the foster homes have the option of supporting a specific child monthly. Some can give a one time donation of formula or medicine or clothing (abroad). There are families here who are fostering/adopting that simply need a word of encouragement. Someone to be interested in their heart's cry for that child. We can be sensitive and not ask questions that hurt - but that lift up. Maybe that new momma is tired and needs a coffee, so you bring her one...she will be grateful! Or maybe you should just call her and let her know your thinking about her. There are soo many ways we can support the adoption world.

Some of us can go. Some of us can be the foster family, the respite care family, the aoptive family for the children here in the US. Some of us can go abroad and bring home the children from China, Europe, Africa, etc.

I, again, encourage you to do what you can...and help others figure out what they can do. I read New Day's blog today and a young girl decided she wanted to sponsor a child so she set up a lemonade stand one afternoon and raised enough for 2 1/2 months! (Here's the Story: Getting Involved)

As you know Alan and I sponsored 2 kiddos from New Day for Christmas. We have had so much fun seeing Esther and Brendan in the clohtes we sent and playing with the toys we sent. It's not a 'I'm so good - look at what Idid' joy. It's a 'I'm so glad we were able to DO SOMETHING' kind of joy. Along those lines, Esther recently became available for sponsorship. Now, I have had an affinity for Esther since I first saw her. You see she has ENT issues -- and that speaks to my heart as it's part of my daily life. So when she became available we decided to sponsor her. (In case you are keeping track - we've got the Pray and Support parts covered in our family. It's what we can do right now...) I'm SOOOO excited to do this! And there are so many others who need sponsors. It's not very much to support a child monthly. I mean - we may have to give up a trip or 2 to Starbucks...but it's worth it. If you're interested visit New Day's Sponsorship page
Another option is Hidden Treasures auctions...this is an online auction that takes place every other month to help out familys heading to Europe to adopt. We just finished on this month, so the next one will be in April. Check it out: Hidden Treasure's Auctions

Do you have a heart for the orphan? What can you do?
-Can you pray?
-Can you support?
-Can you go?

The Bible says "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans..." Every little bit counts...

And because we all expect pictures in a blog...Here's Ms. Esther:



2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for getting connected with New Day and supporting their mission! I cannot say enough great things about them and the care they give some very special orphans in China! The little one we sponsored was adopted recently and what joy to know he is home with family just like David. I am in contact with one of David's sponsors from New Day and I hope that can be true for Esther and Brenden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote this so long ago, but was going over my blog and saw it..and your comment. I'm sure you know, but both Esther and Brenden have been adopted. There's a new sweet one called Esther now. Now we sponsor Hope. I'm going Christmas shopping tonight so I can get it in the mail on Monday! We truly enjoy doing that we can!

      Delete